Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My story

First I'd like to say that it is WAY too hot outside. I went to subway after finishing my moving errands and there was an energy guy in there who warned the store that they are expecting two hour rolling black outs this afternoon. So, I then went home and turned on the news...110 degree heat index and it was only 12. I'm afraid running is going to have to be put on the black burner today. I'm pretty tough and will run in all conditions but not when there's a chance of getting heat exhaustion. I'll have to make up for it tomorrow.

Okay, so I've been promising my "story" of how and why I am moving to Korea so while I am waiting for the power outages to start, I'll share my story.

Really, the story started when I was born because we were a military family and always moved around. So, to me, living in a foreign country isn't really a huge deal. My mom did it growing up and then that's how my parents raised us. We lived in Japan when I was little so I always had this fascination with Japan growing up. I remember raiding a cabinet that had a few relics in it all the time. I loved seeing how other countries lived. In high school I finally got an opportunity to go to Japan through Youth For Understanding (an excellent exchange company). I was picked for a full-ride scholarship and got to go spend a summer over there for free. During my stay I met tons of teachers doing the JETS program (English teachers hired through the government). They all told me I should do the program after I get a bachelors degree. I, of course, thought this would be a most fabulous idea and always told myself that's what I was going to do when I graduated.

Fast forward 5 years and I'm almost graduating. Naturally, I'm thinking about what I am going to do especially since I was going to be a teacher and it was December (not a great time to get hired). The JETS program was not an option for me at the time because they left in August and I wasn't really even sure that I wanted to teach overseas anymore. I applied for a few jobs and even applied for one job in Japan teaching english. I got an interview with them and an interview being a full-time substitute somewhere else. When it all came down to it, I canceled my interview in Chicago for the Japan job and took the sub job. I was done with school and felt like the last thing I wanted to do was pack up and move out. I wanted to enjoy being single and having a full-time job. I figured that when the time was right, even if I was 60 and retired, that I would teach overseas.

Fast forward 3 years and I have been teaching and moved from Colorado to Iowa to be closer to my family. I must have been really bored or depressed that long Iowa winter because I started feeling the need to pray about my love life. Why was it that I hadn't had a boyfriend for 5 years? I dated lots so I know what I wanted and I hadn't found it yet. But, maybe there was something that was holding me back from a relationship. Why wasn't God giving me a husband? After praying about it for a few days I realized something. Was there something I hadn't done with my life that I needed to do before I got married and settled down? Of course! I needed to teach abroad.

In a frantic whirlwind I realized I had two weeks to get my application, letters of recommendation, resume, etc., in to UNI for their overseas teaching fair. I was still a little unsure about the whole thing but kept reminding myself that I was leaving it in God's hand and if He wanted me to teach abroad then I would get a good job at the fair. If not, then I'd walk away empty handed and go back to the drawing board unharmed and still positive. I did all my preparations for the fair on time and kept saying and praying that it was all up to God. What should I do with my life?

My first choice before going to the fair was a school in Qatar. Qatar was somewhere that I'd never been and a culture I'd never experienced. I lived in Asia and Europe and know those countries. I didn't really want to move back to Asia but as I was leaving it in God's hands, I figured I'd be okay there too. After doing 7 interviews Qatar offered me a job. I was so nervous. So, I went back to my hotel to research them a little and found horrible reviews about the way they treated their teachers. Of course, not everyone is going to be happy with their jobs but this was way too many reviews and negative comments to ignore. My gut instinct was uneasy with them after the interview and I think it was right on. I turned them down after my interview with Seoul Foreign School.

Seoul Foreign School was not a school I was crossing my fingers for, at least right away. A school in Shanghai was ready to offer me a job and my interview with SFS was on Saturday afternoon (way late in the game). *Note that Saturday afternoon was also when I was deciding about taking a job in Qatar. SFS was the only school I went to the informational session about. At the time I wasn't sure what was driving me there (God) but I went anyways. I think I figured I had an interview with them so I might as well see what they were all about. SFS is a Christian based school. They are non-denominational and focus on Christian values. I didn't think that this was possible at an overseas fair. Had a great interview with the principal and head of the school and they said they'd let me know that night if they wanted a second interview. After this interview I turned Qatar down and was thinking that if SFS didn't work out then God didn't want me to teach abroad. I'd tried my best and it just wasn't in the cards for me. Of course, I'd come back next year to try again :) I sent SFS a thanks for having me interview with you card and hoped for the best.

That night I went and checked my "mailbox" at the convention center and it was empty with no note from SFS. I was bummed and figured I'd get a thanks for interviewing with us card from them the next day. I took my time Sunday morning getting up, packed and ready to leave. I checked out at 11 and decided to take on last peek at my mailbox on my way out of town. There was a card from SFS in there saying they had wanted an interview at 9:30 that morning and it was almost 11:30 by that time. Shoot! I was at a loss for what to do so I decided to run up to their hotel room when I interviewed to see if they were there. No luck. By this point I'm sweating and am really nervous. I kept asking myself, if this is what I really want I will find that principal if it's the last thing I do! I ran back down to the convention center and see the back of what looks like the principal about to turn the corned to go back to the hotel. I did a little running and finally caught up with him enough to loudly say "Mr. Baker?"

He turned around and told me he was just looking for me to see if I had left or gotten another job. He was going to be really disappointed if he didn't get to talk with me. So in jeans and a cotton shirt, I went up and had my second interview. This is when Mr. Baker told me second interviews mean they want to hire you. We went over logistics of the positions and living in Seoul. It was a good meeting and an even better feeling after I left. They wanted to offer me the job as long as my references worked out.

A few days later, my references worked out and I got the job!! After I left the hotel I left with this amazing feeling. This is what God had been wanting me to do with my life all along. This is something He knows I'd be good at doing. When you leave your life in God's hand and let his plans unfoil and not your own, things work out so well. This is a true testament that God will take care of your every need if you just give you life to him. I don't think I had ever put my destiny in God's hands more. Every time I heard from SFS about room assignments or coaching or "financial logistics" I was more and more amazed. Everything worked out perfectly. I am still waiting to wake up from the dream but often need to remind myself that it's not a dream and it's God's plan. I just hope that God has more great things planned for me and my adventure. 18 more days.

No comments:

Post a Comment