Sunday, August 22, 2010

Life goes on


So here's where I am going to go philosophical. Get ready, hold on and strap in. I made a big realization today... Life goes on without you when your gone.

Maybe this is the first step into getting comfortable with my new home. I don't expect life to not go one without me but it's a realization that I needed to make. My decisions can have a big impact on peoples lives, but it can also have a very little impact. Sure, people miss me (ummm...who wouldn't :) just kidding...) but it doesn't change their day to day activities. It's hard to call someone who is 14 hours ahead of you and lives in a different country code. Physical distance can put a mental distance on relationships. Gone are the everyday, "this is what happened" and they are replaced by "I'm safe, I'm happy and that's about it". I think anyone living overseas understands that it's hard to explain your daily life to people on the other side of the world. It takes lots of explaining and by the time you are done, the story you wanted to tell seems like an exhausting task.

So, life goes on. People have arguments, start relationships and live. One way to bridge the gap of communication is to have a blog. There are no time zones with blogs because I post when I can and people read when they can. There isn't a cat and mouse game of when are meeting on skype? So...that was my thought. In no way is it a negative thought, it's just a realization. I can no longer stop by mom's house on the way home from school or see family friends in the grocery store. Now, my life here is that, just my life. The spiderweb of familiarity is gone and is replaced with the web of SFS. I love you all and hope that you continue to update me a little on your lives back home. I don't want to be a complete stranger when I come back! On a side note, I do have a skype account (kris10coffelt) and my phone number is 82-2-338-1326. Oh, and my address is Kristen Coffelt Seoul Foreign School 55 Yonhi-dong Seoul, South Korea 120-113 :) I love mail, even if it's just a letter, photo or card!

In other Seoul news...school started. Kids here are very different than those back home. They listen, answer questions and do their homework. Oh and the best part...they have respect. It's a dream here. Cross country started already too and I can feel the shin splints forming... stupid body. I got a massage last weekend that was so rough that I bruised, went to a great church this morning with wonderful, friendly people, made a solo taxi journey to the store and back, had mexican food and margaritas, ordered pizza, ate kimchi, dumplings, octopus and so many other things. Last night Misty and I hung out and took some pictures from the roof of my apartment building at the seoul skyline. Sorry the pictures aren't better. Oh, and am planning on Beijing during thanksgiving. Can someone say great wall?!?!?

Love you all,
K






No comments:

Post a Comment